- About Us
- Strategic Focus
- Dudley Learning Center
- Dudley Neighbors Inc.
- Housing on Land Trust
- Open Space Projects
- Commercial Property and Partnerships
- Leaseholder Info
- Boston Promise Initiative
- News & Events
- Support Us
Jobs and Internships
Current Job Listing:
Mentoring Organizer/Highland Street Corps Ambassadors of Mentoring
Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative
AmeriCorps is a national community service program that gives people an opportunity to apply their skills and ideals towards helping others and meeting critical needs in the community. The Highland Street Corps Ambassadors of Mentoring is an AmeriCorps Program where members serve in mentoring programs across Massachusetts.
About Mass Mentoring Partnership:
Mass Mentoring Partnership (MMP) is fueling the movement to expand quality mentoring for youth to meet the needs of communities across Massachusetts. MMP serves more than 200 mentoring programs statewide supporting 30,000 youth in mentoring relationships. We provide services including training and technical assistance, networking and professional development, mentor recruitment campaigns, advocacy, resource development & recognition, and mentor-mentee match activities.
Mass Mentoring Partnership’s AmeriCorps program, the Highland Street Corps Ambassadors of Mentoring, is currently recruiting twenty-five Ambassadors for the 2013-2014 program year, which begins on August 1, 2013 and runs through June 30, 2014. Ambassadors complete one year of service at a host organization in Massachusetts. One Ambassador will be placed at Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative.
About Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative:
Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI) is a twenty-nine year-old resident-led, non-profit planning and organizing entity in the Roxbury/North Dorchester area of Boston. DSNI’s mission is to empower Dudley residents to organize, plan for, create, and control a vibrant, diverse and high quality neighborhood in collaboration with community partners. In order to realize the neighborhood’s vision of a vibrant urban village, DSNI has organized to make significant strides in the areas of land control, affordable housing, community facilities, urban agriculture, youth development, and community building. Progress in our neighborhood is the result of robust collaborative efforts led by community residents.
About Stronger Leaders Brighter Future:
Stronger Leaders Brighter Future (SLBF) is a developing program that has grown out of the need for a greater presence of caring, consistent adults in the lives of youth within the Dudley Village Campus (DVC), an area of Roxbury/North Dorchester that is home to over 4,000 school-aged children and a geographic focus area of Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI). Youth and adults involved with the organization have identified the following goals for the program:
§ To offer youth in the DVC the opportunity to build mentoring relationships with a caring, consistent adult;
§ To guide youth in the development and implementation of their individualized ACT Plan (see below); and
§ To support youth in navigating systems in order to achieve their goals and reach their fullest potential.
The goals for the Mentoring Organizer are:
- To increase the number of mentees and trained mentors with a special focus on recruiting male mentors of color from the community.
- To formalize systems and resources which support the expansion of the SLBF Program
Essential Functions of the Position:
§ Recruit, match and retain 20-25 adult volunteer mentors (60% of which will be residents within the DVC), with a specific focus on males of color
§ Recruit, match and retain 20-25 youth from the DVC through strengthening relationships with partner organizations
§ Revise and implement evaluation tools and policies that provide a clear understanding of the strengths and areas to grow in the program
§ Enhance and maintain recruitment database and tracking systems
§ Establish connections and relationships with partner organizations and businesses to gather resources and trainings for matches
§ Solicit feedback and insight on the program from DSNI’s Youth Organizers
- Report to the Director of Youth Leadership & Development
- Be able to complete a minimum of 1700 hours of documented service to complete host site project
- Monthly reporting to Mass Mentoring Partnership
- Must be able to work collaboratively and within groups in order to complete group projects to
benefit the field of mentoring
- Satisfactorily complete host site service project
§ Complete at least 2 Corps projects to benefit the field of mentoring
§ Maintain a service Portfolio and blog posts
§ Complete all required AmeriCorps documentation and reporting
§ Must be able to attend all corps-wide trainings and events to cultivate future non-profit leaders, including a week-long orientation, bi-monthly corps meetings, a mid-year retreat and two service- week sessions
§ Must be able to effectively manage time and meet competing demands.
§ Complete all professional development requirements as part of member contract.
- BA/BS strongly preferred
- Experience with and/or commitment to youth development
- Interest in non profit organizations and their development
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Proven leadership and project management abilities
- A passion for national and community service
- The desire to work with diverse people, organizations and communities
- Flexibility and a good sense of humor
- Comfortable with limited amount of project ambiguity
- US Citizen or Permanent US Resident
- Commitment to and ability to apply DSNI’s mission, values, and organizing principles
- Respect for resident/youth decision-making and community planning
- Ability to take initiative while working as part of a team
- Ability to work in a multicultural setting with a diversity of people
- Ability to motivate residents, youth, parents and partners to become involved
§ $625.00/semi-monthly taxable living allowance
§ Fully paid health insurance
§ Transportation stipend of $70.00/month
§ Additional transportation reimbursement for corps-wide meetings, training, and events
§ Excellent training and networking opportunities on the mentoring field and the non profit sector
§ $5,550 Education Award upon completion of service
§ Additional education award benefits
§ A built in network of corps members and colleagues
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Director of Youth Leadership & Development
Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative
504 Dudley Street, Roxbury, MA 02119
Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.
Mass Mentoring Partnership is an equal opportunity employer.
Mass Mentoring Partnership makes reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
The Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI) is a non-profit planning and organizing group celebrating over 27 years as a successful, resident-led coalition working to create an urban village in the Dudley neighborhood of Roxbury/North Dorchester. DSNI’s mission is to empower Dudley residents to organize, plan for, create and control a vibrant, diverse and high-quality neighborhood in collaboration with community partners.
The Community Organizer will work as a team member to strengthen the neighborhood revitalization work. They will work with staff, residents, committee and Board members to unfold planning and organizing efforts to realize the neighborhood’s vision of a vibrant urban village.
• Work with DSNI Organizers to carry out organizing and planning activities. This includes door knocking, passing out flyers and talking to residents.
• Organize residents and other stakeholders to actively engage in the neighborhood revitalization effort, using door knocking, phoning, neighborhood meetings, and other outreach methods.
• Communicate regularly with residents and others stakeholders through written materials and personal contact
• Work as part of DSNI’s overall organizing efforts to Build Our Urban Village
• Attend meetings representing DSNI.
• Investigate, evaluate, and share various tools and models for outreach, organizing and collaboration.
• Prepare regular reports and articles on activities.
• Commitment to DSNI’s mission and organizing principles
• Respect for resident decision-making and community planning
• Ability to take initiative while working well as part of a team
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work long hours and be flexible
• Familiarity with neighborhood issues
• Ability to work in a multicultural setting
• A sense of humor always helps
For more information contact:
Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, 504 Dudley Street, Roxbury, MA 02119.
Women and People of Color Encouraged To Apply. Equal Opportunity Employer.
***TITLE SEARCHER (UNPAID INTERNSHIP)***
Dudley Neighbors Inc. (DNI) is a Community Land Trust in the Roxbury and North Dorchester area of Boston, organized as an Urban Redevelopment Organization under MGL Chapter 121A. DNI’s Mission is Is to implement the community revitalization plans of the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative (DSNI), which espouses development without displacement and includes affordable housing, economic development, open space and other amenities of the Urban Village.
To search public and private records to compile a list of documents pertaining to property titles, such as mortgages, deeds, and assessments. To create a reference system of all deeds of land that DNI and it affiliates own.
- Searches records available at DNI, City of Boston Assessing Department and or Suffolk Registry of Deeds to compile all legal deeds for parcels owned by DNI & its affiliates.
- If required, obtains maps or drawings of property from surveyor or assessor's office or from title companies.
- Prepares reference system and report with information compiled that would be useful for future work reference.
- Ability to take initiative while working independently and as part of a team
- Have working knowledge on how to title search using City of Boston Assessing Department and Suffolk Registry of Deeds.
- A sense of humor always helps
- Word processing and other computer experience (Microsoft word, excel, Adobe Acrobat).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills a must.
- Must be organized and attentive to detail.
Position Type: Unpaid Internship
Please reply with letter of interest and resume immediately to: Jason Webb, Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, 504 Dudley Street, Roxbury, MA 02119 or email to email@example.com
Women and People of Color Encouraged to Apply. Equal Opportunity Employer.